World News ~ Science News ~ Tech News ~ Paranormal & Aliens
Odd News ~ UncleGadget's YouTube

The more you give, the
more we can give back!
There has been,

Hits to PSK
Networks since
Sept. 30th, 2004

Author Topic: Spectacular Volcano explosion in Chile  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Psk

• Administrator
Spectacular Volcano explosion in Chile
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Volcano Calbuco in Chile erupted for the first time in over 5 decades yesterday, sending ash and smoke several miles into the sky.

The sudden eruption occurred around 2100 GMT, about 625 miles south of the capital Santiago near the tourist town of Puerto Varas.

About 1,500 people were being moved out of the area and an evacuation radius of 20 kilometers has been established, authorities said.

Trevor Moffat, who lives in Ensenada, about 6 miles from the volcano, said the eruption happened without warning.  Volcano Calbuco's last major eruption happened in 1961. "It sounded like a big tractor trailer passing by the road, rattling and shaking, guttural rumbling ... we left everything there, grabbed my kid, my dog, got in the car with my wife," said Moffat.

"All the neighbors were outside, a lot of young people crying. Armageddon type reaction," said Canada-born Moffat.

Pictures showed a spectacular mushroom-shaped column billowing into the sky with occasional lighting bolts shooting through. The eruption was seen in other towns at least 30 miles away.

"There are a lot of people out in the streets, many heading to the gas stations to fill up on gas," Derek Way, a resident of Puerto Varas, said. "A friend told me to fill everything we have with water," said Way.

Chile, on the Pacific 'Rim of Fire', has the second largest chain of volcanoes in the world after Indonesia, including around 500 that are potentially active.

In March, volcano Villarrica, also in southern Chile, erupted in spectacular fashion, sending a plume of ash and lava high into the sky, but quickly subsided.

Offline Psk

• Administrator
Re: Spectacular Volcano explosion in Chile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
more

Offline Psk

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
more

Offline Psk

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
more

Offline Psk

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
I just got & processed some more pix of the volcano. Pretty cool stuff as long as you don't get in the way of one or live near one. I read the volcano is calming down for now, but as far as volcanoes go, that doesn't mean it's over.

It's best to view their awesome power from as far away as possible.

Go to the next page of this gallery to see more (click at "2" at the bottom)

Offline Psk

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »
Volcanoes are cool. But if i saw one erupting, MAYBE I'd snap one picture before I got as far away as possible from it until it calms down for at least a few months. Just breathing in the dust & fumes can kill you after a few months, or can screw up your lungs & health decades later.

Offline Psk

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Don't forget to click on the next page of this thread to see more.

The more you give, the more we can give back!

PLEASE support our free networks & multimedia with a donation today!

Visitor Map ~ Dots indicate people who visited PSK networks since May 17, 2020. Blinking dots are visitors currently visiting us.

For: science, technology, paranormal, UFOs, aliens, computers, windows, astronomy, physics, & pets.

Web
Analytics

Hits to our networks since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker